[NTLK] Trouble backing up Newton

From: Roland Roberts (roland_at_astrofoto.org)
Date: Tue Dec 06 2005 - 07:25:53 PST

Hi, I'm new to this list, but I've had a MP2100 since just shortly
before Apple orphaned it and have been happily using it ever since.
Well, I did have a little fling with a Sharp Zaurus, but that didn't
last :-)

I've been a bad boy and haven't been very good about backing up my Newt,
and decided yesterday I had better do so again before I started playing
around with installing a wireless card and drivers. The last time I did
a backup was two years ago, with the same configuration I have now, a
Windows 95 *virtual* host running on VMWare where the real OS is Linux.
This worked just fine two years ago (:-| when I tried it immediately
after installing hte PCBMan board. At that point I had been having
trouble with reliable connections and with the new board/connector it
worked.

At this point, I get partway into the backup and get a frame error
(-48400). Sounds like a FAQ so far... but I also can't get SBM
utilities package to install. I've tried at speeds from 57600 down to
2400 using both sloup with newtonlink directly from Linux and with NCU
from the Windows 95 virtual host. My best has been to get about 1/2 of
the install done at 9600 with sloup before I get an error.

In in fit of stupidity, I decided to try to get the wireless driver on
see if I could do something with it. I loaded the driver which
complained it couldn't configure the card (it wasn't plugged in yet), so
I then I restarted the Newt, plugged in the card, but still it
complained. Instead of asking here, I read Hiroshi's page which
mentioned deleting my owner info and trying. Oops, some part of my hind
brain was trying to warn me that was a bad idea, but I didn't listen.
Most of my registered apps started complaining that they had expired.
Most are from standalone, and I actually did write down *most* of the
passwords, so I've reactivated about 2/3 of them and send email to
standalone to see if I can get the keys for the rest.

And I still can't get a good backup.

I have an old PowerComputing Mac clone over in the corner that was
scheduled to be trashed; it has MacOS 8.1.something on it, so my next
try will probably be to plug it back in (it was working a couple of
months ago...) and see if the Mac and the Newt play together better.

I'm also trying to get a second flash card off Ebay to see if I can get
a good backup that way and then reset the Newt and restore hoping that
will clear some of the problems.

Oh, and one other thing where I might have screwed myself---at one point
in my haze and exhaustion, I started to do a backup onto my existing
card---it's a 10MB card, a bit under 1/2 full. So now it shows itself
has having a partial backup. I don't know how to get rid of that, and
it won't be able to complete if I try to allow it, and I'm not sure if
that would hose me any worse.

So...I'm trying to ignore these problems and keep using my Newt until I
can figure out how to procede.

First question---are there any tools like the SBM utilities, but smaller
so I have a shot at loading them, that can help me clean up possibly
corrupt soups?

Second question---uhm, how badly have I screwed up and how much hope of
recovery do I have? I can always power up the old Zaurus and beam info
over to it (mostly, I don't think it can handle the Newt's notes),
clear everything and start from scratch, but that's certainly painful.

Any help is greatly appreciated....

TIA,

roland

--
                       PGP Key ID: 66 BC 3B CD
roland_at_rlenter.com                            6818 Madeline Court