[NTLK] Problem 4?

From: DJ Vollkasko (DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net)
Date: Sat Dec 10 2005 - 02:57:26 PST

Subject: [NTLK] Problem 4?
From: Irfon-Kim Ahmad <irfon () ambienautica ! com>
Date: 2005-12-09 21:28:45

>One weirdness, though. On hers (and I think maybe on mine too,
>although it only did it once that I can recall) it seems to
>occasionally just reboot, saying that a problem had occurred (4).

Hmh... Pls. run NewtTest and see what version of NOS 2.1 it is running.
NewtTest will tell you if there is a OS patch that you can install to
get NOS to the most current (last) release level. This should be done
with all Newts regardless of any errors, BTW.

I've also had strange reactions on my Newton from conflicting packages
(localization stuff), b0rked index (run IndexFixer) and damaged
packages. One safe measure is making TWO separate full backups stored
on separate media, hard resetting the box, and installing stuff again
by batches, to see if the problem is still there or gone or comes after
installing a specific batch. Then you can hunt for the troublemaking
package in that patch... If the problem was with the storage medium of
the Newton, any such probs will be fixed, too.

Note that is this not specific to the message you got. Can you give
specific wording and when it comes, e.g. after stalling the Newton
before you have to force a reset, or after the reboot as notice why the
roboot'd occurred (like "Reboot because reset button was pressed",
"restart because battery ran emtpy", etc.)? Did you find anything in
the error message DB on UNNA (IIRC) or the FAQ (as outdated as it is,
this might be covered)?

D.