Re: [NTLK] Bluetooth

From: Martin Joseph (martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Wed Dec 14 2005 - 10:00:57 PST

On Dec 12, 2005, at 3:14 PM, Zoont Foomby wrote:

> Hi all,
> I've been trying to get the bluetooth internet sharing going between
> my Newt
> and iBook. No luck so far.
I have never tried doing that, but bluetooth works perfectly for
sending stuff back and forth from the powerbook to the newton and
vis-versa.

I know there are scripts that attempt to configure OSX to reshare it's
network connection over Bluetooth, but I never got to playing with
that. I have a WIFI card and that makes a great connection directly to
my wireless net and is much faster then Bluetooth.

> I found some version of the scripts that were referenced in the Wiki
> literature on the subject, and tried using them. From what I can tell
> by
> looking at 'ps'/'top' and the files in /etc and so on, they don't
> succeed at
> all. I am wondering if the situation for bluetooth net sharing has
> changed
> under Mac OS Tiger (10.4.x)?
I will try to take a look at this for information purposes as I haven't
checked it out in a long time. Perhaps tiger does have a much easier
bluetooth internet sharing function?

> Other than the Wiki, and the tiny bit of info on the 40hz pages, is
> there
> any good document on doing this setup?

I haven't seen it if there is.
> Also, is it possible to transfer (via irDA, Obex, email, etc.)
> 'sketches' in
> notepad? That is, when I used Obex to push a notepad entry to my Mac
> that
> had no actual text but was just scribbles and such, I got a text file
> which
> said 'ink ink ink ink ink ink' (or something like that). Obviously, it
> was
> replacing the sketch items with the text 'ink' (I think it was 'ink'
> although it might have been 'sketch'). I'm not talking about doing a
> screen
> shot like NPDS could serve up... but transferring non-text notes to my
> mac
> in some format that could then be opened and viewed for what they are -
> vector artwork (or maybe it is bitmap artwork... heck, I don't know
> format
> it is stored in..!).

Hmmm, That isn't so easy. NCU can do that. I don't know a way to that
via Bluetooth though. Simplemail and Mail V can also email sketches in
a gif format that isn't ideal (a bitmap), but does allow sketches to be
viewed on other systems. I wonder if the "classroom exchange" program
that was recently mentioned here might help with this?

I will revisit this topic when I get a chance to play with tiger and BT
resharing

Marty