Re: [NTLK] (still) Trouble backing up Newton

From: Sonny Hung (sonnyhung_at_gmail.com)
Date: Sat Dec 17 2005 - 13:29:30 PST

On 12/17/05, Roland Roberts <roland_at_astrofoto.org> wrote:
> o Are there any other options for NBU besides serial (I think the answer
> is no, but hope springs eternal...)?

Don't recall much about this as it's been awhile and I primarily us a PC
though I do now have a Wallstreet PowerBook and a Color Classic both with
NCU now finally working (installs packages but the backup is still flaky.)

> o I'm getting a consistent error (-48418) when using SimpleMail from my
> old newt, but not from the new one, when disconnecting from the net at
> the end of sending the message. I'm using a WaveLAN/IEEE gold card.
> The message seems to be sent, but the newt requires a reset before I
> can send any other mail. Any idea on how to track down the cause?

Can't help here because I'm not using my setup for email, though I do have
the WiFi and Cabled options available.

> o I'm trying to configure a second newton the same as my primary one to
> have quick replacement handy. Some packages are copy protected, so I
> can't beam them back and forth. With an, iffy serial connection, what
> are my options for getting these over to the other newt?

For this you should try to
http://www.unna.org/view.php?/utilites/system_enhancements/EEUnProtect
It lets ou beam locked packages.

> I've not been able to back up my Newton yet. I've swapped the direct
> serial connection for a USB->serial connector and have dropped the speed
> down to 9600 to try to get through. I consistently have trouble at
> higher speeds :-( It's running a backup now, but I have low confidence
> that it will work because even at 9600 I've been having trouble
> installing large packages. On the other hand, it's still running and
> this is longer than it has gone before....

Well fortunate for me I have two Macs though very old which both have a
built-inserial (Wallstreet PowerBook & Color Classic). I've only used NCU on
both and have not done more than installed software and maybe used the
Keyboard on the Mac to the Newton.
I've got the USB/Serial Adapter which I will need to try with a Blue/White
G3 eventually but I'm not going to spend to much time since I have two
already functional and hope that someone on list will catch this thread and
provide a good answer which I may also use in the future.

> I have an old "Mac" which is really a PowerComputer 150 (remember
> them?). I had stripped down the machine for kid's games until the
> CD-ROM died about a year ago at which point it went into the corner. I
> pulled it out and bought a cheap CD-ROM which is listed on the FWB
> Toolkit supported list (Toshiba XM5401), but the toolkit configuration
> won't let me activate the drive and claims it is not supported >:-(

I'm sorry to hear the unfortunate results you got...

I was going to use the CD to get the NCU/NBU tools onto the old mac as
> well as restore it to fully functional mode. I can get the tools onto
> the mac from UNNA by putting them on another host and mounting it via
> appletalk, so that's not a showstopper.

Well that's a good thing - always have a second option to get things done.

I've also picked up a second Newton off ebay as a back-up, but this is
> going to be a somewhat painful configuration since i am currently
> beaming packages back and forth. Some of them are copy-protected, so
> that doesn't work...can't beam, can't load, ack!

Well I've given an answer above and I hope it works for you! :)

Oh, the good folks at StandAlone sent me the keys I had lost for some of
> the packages I purchased from them years ago. Kudos to their help
> staff!

Yes, there are still a few Newton Software Vendors still providing great
service after it's demise...

> PGP Key ID: 66 BC 3B CD
> Roland B. Roberts, PhD RL Enterprises
> roland_at_rlenter.com 6818 Madeline Court
> roland_at_astrofoto.org Brooklyn, NY 11220

Well if you are working or living in Brooklyn maybe we can meet up and I can
assist you in this matter IF there is something I can do...???
Either way I'm in the Queens, NY area and workin Queens College in Flushing,
NY - drop me a reply and I'll see what I can do for you... maybe we can
trade notes on other Newton matters.

By the way I thought I tried getting in touch with you off-list when you
first started this thread, but I did not get a response...

--
God bless,
Sonny Hung