Re: [NTLK] Newton 110 Memory a major problem!

From: Gopi D Flaherty (gf2e_at_andrew.cmu.edu)
Date: Sun Dec 18 2005 - 12:36:29 PST

On Sun, 18 Dec 2005, Justin Graziano wrote:
> I have a Newton 110 and the memory is bad on these! They give you I think
> 400K yea K! How on earth do you store stuff in these with such little space?

400k of _text_ is a _lot_. For storing calendar items, address book
entries, and handwritten notes, I think you'll find that is sufficient
storage space.

Applications on the Newton are generally not that large. Now, 400k is
still tight, but compared to the application size of modern desktop
systems, the Newton is much more efficient.

400,000 characters, at an average of 6 characters per word, and an average
of 400 words per page, gives you 166 full pages of text. I don't know
about you, but that's usually enough storage space for me.

> I know you can buy a flash card but I only have a USB flash card. Is their
> anyway to connect USB to these 110's? Is it possible to free up space with a
> compression program or anything similar?

Newton-compatible flash memory cards are not that expensive nowadays.
Nobody is working on a way to make a USB flash card work n a Newton, and
the amount of effort required would make it highly impractical.

Try installing some apps on your Newton, and see how big they are. Then
figure out what sized flash card you want.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised about how much you actually need on
your Newton.