Re: [NTLK] OT - Palm OS device? Which one?

From: Zack Smith (moosemanmoo_at_gmail.com)
Date: Tue Dec 20 2005 - 18:21:49 PST

I used to have a Sony Clie TG-50. It has a 320x320 screen without any
Graffiti, and the built-in keyboard is pretty nice and it has
backlighting. Of course, the Palm way is very different than the
Newton way, but the TG-50 is probably the smallest and most modern
Palm for the money. I've seen TG-50s go on ebay for around $100 to
$150. I no longer have mine, I traded it for an upgraded 2000 with a
ton of accessories after I bought a Treo 650.
You will want a good travel charger-- the TG50 probably has the best
battery life of any stock OS 5 handheld, but it's nowhere near Newton
length. This shouldn't be more than $20.

There are many freeware Palm OS bible readers. I wouldn't know which
one to recommend, but they are definitely out there. You can also read
any word or text document (or book).

Once again, I wouldn't know what to recommend for a dictionary, but
comprehensive language translation dictionaries on the Palm are
normally around $20 to $50.

I don't know if that's too much money, so another option of a small
handheld with a built-in keyboard is the Handspring Treo 90. I've
never owned one of these, but if you don't want to spend the extra $50
to $80 for the Clie and have no need for OS 5 software (mostly
multimedia), it could be a good option.

Sorry for the somewhat erratically formatted reply, and best of luck
in your searching.

On 12/20/05, Jon Glass <jonglass_at_usa.net> wrote:
> Actually, this isn't so off-topic. I leave for Poland in a couple
> months, and I want to take back with me a Palm computer for two
> essential applications that I cannot get for my (temporarily damaged)
> 2100.
>
> 1 is Bible software. I have a couple specific programs in mind, but the
> important thing here is size. It takes lots of disk space.
> 2. Polish-English dictionary. Again, I have the app in mind, and it
> also takes a bit of space.
>
> My other requirements, other than removable media is that it use later
> OS, be color, and---most importantly, of course, it has to feel
> comfortable with my Newtonized mind. Which Palm models, in the opinions
> of those on the list who use both, do you think I would be most
> comfortable with? I think I would prefer a non-silk-screened Grafitti
> area, and like the flip-screen Clie models with built-in keyboards, as
> I doubt I can get used to Grafitti. :-) I'm curious if there will be
> any consensus on this list. :-)
>
> Oh, last criterion. CHEAP! I am looking used, so out-dated models is
> not a problem unless a particular model had some fatal flaws. Fire
> away, but no flames, please. And no, I have no intention, this time, of
> dumping my Newton. I use it for some very important things, and don't
> think I will even sync my Mac address book and iCal to the Palm. :-)
>
> --
> -Jon Glass
> Krakow, Poland
>
> "If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough." -
> Photojournalist Robert Capa
>
> --

The most perfidious way of harming a cause consists of defending it
deliberately with faulty arguments.