[NTLK] Christmas Eve, Apple Store, Austin Texas

From: Cwashiidcvrmtrs_at_aol.com
Date: Sat Dec 24 2005 - 19:32:21 PST

...I walk to the register in the rear of the store....

"Excuse me, how much is an AC adapter for a Dual-USb iBook?"

Salesman One: "Uh, $75.00."

"Okay; I'll pass on that; just let me get this (I hand the salesman a laptop
protective sleeve)."

Salesman One: "That'll be $35(.xx).

(I open my purse to get my cash, and my 2100 is displayed)

Salesman One: "WOW! What is THAT?!?"

(I am thinking the salesman is at first talking about the c-note the I had
folded up with the $40 I handed him)

Salesman One: "WOW .. IS THAT A NEWTON??!?"

(I smile) "Yeah, it is! A 2100"

Salesman One: "Wow, I have never seen one of those! You still use it?"

"Yes, I do; everyday!"

Salesman One: "Hey, Wanda; look at this; he has a 'Newton!'"

(Wanda / Salesman Two): "Is that a PDA? Like the first one or something?"

Salesman One: "Yeah, it was made by Apple, like back in the '90's."

Salesman Two: "Wow.. I did not even know Apple ever made a PDA. Why did they
quit?"

Salesman One: (after noticing my surprised expression) "You have to remember
that the Newton was around back when..."

...Yeah, when YOU were about what... Four?!? (I laugh)

I stood over the side of the registers for about 3 more minutes, talking to
some of the other salespersons and in earshot of the ones behind the registers
 about Newtons. All the while, my wife is looking at me and the Apple
employees, thinking "Oh, Gawd!"

:-D

HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL!

Craig W.