Re: [NTLK] Aging Capacitors

From: Andrei Chichak (newton_at_chichak.ca)
Date: Thu Dec 29 2005 - 12:24:11 PST

At 06:13 PM 12/24/2005, you wrote:
>On Dec 24, 2005, at 15:15, Tony Kan wrote:
>
> > They mention that even through they hadn't been plugged in for a
> > while, the
> > machines were deteriorating because of decaying plastic insulation and
> > also
> > capacitors that eventually corrode and damage circuits.

The fact that people have old stuff that still works is moot at best, your
mileage may vary.

Electrolytic capacitors do dry out and the circuits that they are attached
to may stop working. I have a clock radio that my parents gave me in the
mid '70s. It has slide pots with dust in them, but it works great 30 years
on. On the other hand, recently I repaired three power supplies from HP
laserjet IIs, all of them had the same $0.25 capacitor go bad. This is a
real problem.

As I peer into the back of my Frankenstein 2100, I can only see one
electolytic known as C121 and the supercap known as C88. They may
eventually dry out and stop working (they may even short power and ground
and blow up), but I suspect that interest in the Newton will dry up before
the capacitors.

Andrei