Re: [NTLK] Einstein Thoughts

From: Ian Iverson (8-bit_persona2986_at_sbcglobal.net)
Date: Fri Dec 30 2005 - 17:43:37 PST

>I don't know if this actually applies to Einstein,
but I was
>wondering why NewtonTalk people never talk about the
Palm Life Drive
>Mobile Manager. From the specs, it looks like a
pretty capable
>machine and cross-platform compatible.

   The Palm Life Drive is a great device. Its hard
drive would be great for storing lots of Newton apps.
However, I'd wait until Palm (and the OS) looked like
it was back in a secure position before I made the
investment/effort to port software to the platform.
That company has been making some crazy moves lately.

   As a proud owner of an SL-5500, my vote is on the
Zaurus. From what I understand, it would be easier to
port to qte and it would run on more PDAs as long as
they have embedded Linux installed. It could easily
be ported to Palm OS once it's stable on a different
PDA platform.

>My feeling is that if Apple comes up with nothing for
us at next
>month's MacWorld, it's finally time to hang it up.

   Wait 6 months. If they don't announce it at the
WWDC, I'm giving up too. I doubt they will announce
it at MacWorld because the star of the show will be
the Intel-based iBook(?) Plus it would take sales
away from the new iPod Shuffle with *VOICE
RECOGNITION*, iPod GALACTICA! (another LAWSUIT!)

   Seriously though, Apple could use its partnership
with Intel to its advantage and make a high-end device
with the power of a tablet and the size of a PDA (with
OS "x") to compete with "Windoze Mobil" All for about
the price of a Mac Mini. I don't expect it to be
named "Newton" or Newton-compatible, though...

-Ian