Re: [NTLK] New possible candidate platform for einstein

From: DJ Vollkasko (DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net)
Date: Tue Feb 01 2005 - 03:31:41 PST

> From: Martin Joseph <martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com>
> Subject: Re: [NTLK] New possible candidate platform for einstein
> Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 11:40:44 -0800
>
> On Jan 31, 2005, at 10:59 AM, Clayton Mitchell wrote:
>>
>> Thought I would throw these in for thought.
>>
>> Gameboy DS
>>
>> http://www.nintendo.com/systemsds

Naw, don't like the form factor etc. ...

>> Sony Play Station Portable
>>
>> http://www.gamespot.com/all/news/news_6072659.html

If it had a touchscreen it would be nice, also it will become widely
spread hw with major corporation technical maintenance and upgrades
available (tho we have done pretty well without that, thanks to players
like Frank, PCBMan, etc.). There'll be a bundle of third-party gadgets,
tho, which make will make me envious.

> I think we need a touch screen for one thing. Also it would be better
> if the device used an ARM CPU, as that might allow Paul to leverage
> some of the newton's code into a native mode...

'Xactly, Marty.

Is anybody familiar with the really nice looking GP32 from Gamepark
(Korea) http://www.gamepark.com ?

I haven't seen one of these myself yet, but read some favorable
articles. They market that as Global Portable Game Device (aka open
source console), have already plenty emulators and ports for it (incl.
Amiga, Atari, SCUMM, Gameboy, NES, Playstation, Waba...) and there's a
Linux, too! Here http://gp32emu.dcemu.co.uk you can find the emulators
for GP32, and also emulators OF the GP32 (for Win & Linux). This thing
is hyped all over gaming console chats as being pretty hot and way
underground, that's something that resonates nicely with me. Costs
brand new about EUR 120,-- / US$ 220,-- for the 166 MHz version.

Gamepark actively provides upgrades, and there's a big developer
community, as the SDKs is free
http://www.gamepark.com/eng/support/sup_sdk.asp . Gamepark seems also
to be happy to market third-party developed stuff, as I take it from
their Games-page -- BTW, gotta love it that all the games are under US$
10,--! They seem to be pretty reasonable people and very interested in
cooperations.

GP32 *has* a StrongArm CPU and a 320X240 pixel sized 65,536 colours
3,5'' display. They don't say much about which StrongArm with what
speed they use (guess they put in whatever they can get fairly priced),
but 166 MHz and 188 MHz are rumored or avalailable as hacks from third
parties. 2 AA alkaline cells give 12 h nonstop performance. Doesn't say
if you can charge cells in the device. Oh, and it has built-in MP3
player, video player, wireless gimmick, USB, SMC slot... Gamepark
offers an add-on keyboard, too... Really a nice versatile alternative
to the soulless offerings of certain major multinationals.

Check the specs http://www.gamepark.com/eng/hardware/spec.asp -- maybe
we should petition Gamepark to produce a newton-green highend-version
with touch screen and more MHz for EUR 250,--/USD 300,--... maybe
larger screen, too... and line-in/Mic... ;=}

What do you think?

> My 2c (US)

And mine 2c (EUR).

Cheers,

DJV.

P.S.: What I would miss -- the second expansion slot. I *love* the
Newt's two PC Card slots - one for storage, one for fun (as in: added
functionality), makes the Newt the digital swiss army knife we all love
(even though there is *still* no complete LAN tester suite available --
imagine plugging two ethernet cards in to connect to two networks and
monitor traffic, run diagnostics, etc., how powerful would such a
tester be!). The GP32's USB port would offer the same and much more and
cheaper, I guess, but it would lack the "internality" of a good PC Card
solution. Still...

P.P.S.: One thing that's pretty obvious is that the most desired new
features -- more MHz, colour display, less weight -- provide a serious
problem. Barely any manufacturer will succumb to reality and fit their
devices with 4 x AA cells, because (a) it would be too reasonable and
consumer-friendly ("Let them buy custom-made rechargeables!") and (b)
too heavy (in portable devices, the shirtpocketability has become the
measure of all things, even where it doesn't make sense). So all these
new platforms may be expected to have a higher consumption and less
power stored than our Newtons, resulting in vastly shorter intervals
between recharging... Which definitely sucks badly and ruins a lot of
the usability, at least for me.