[NTLK] PICO bluetooth HW and Blunt 2

From: Adriano (adriano.angelillis_at_gmail.com)
Date: Fri Feb 04 2005 - 08:18:47 PST

For first i have to present the case:
Sphinx, the one which made the PICO PCMCIA (Newton compatible), made
also the Pico Plug:
it's a bluetooth serial adapter which has a DB9 port on one side and a
Parallel port on the other side.
[Here's a link to take a look to the adapter:
http://www.bluetoothupgrades.de/pico_plug.htm]
It can be plugged on a PC COM port as a RS232 bluetooth adapter, or can
be used to make a common parallel printer working on bluetooth.
I do not have a WinPC, so i cannot try the bundled software to activate
the bluetooth printing options.

Testing:
On the Newton side, with Blunt i can choose the serial option for OBeX,
IC/VC etc etc, so i tried to make the PICO Plug functional on my MP2100
using a DB9 to Din8 Mac adapter, and i want to describe what happened:
The adapter light flashes when not connected, but when i choose the
serial option on Blunt the yellow led stops flashing and become stable,
the same way as on the PICO PCMCIA.
Then i tested it with Blunt 'Test' button, but there's no success. The
result of the next pairing tests is that there are no active
communications both the ways from the Newton nor to/from another PICO
PCMCIA tested compatible mobile phone or desktop computer. In other
words the Pico Plug is recognized as a standalone bluetooth trasmitter
by my Nokia7600 and by my TiBook, but the MessagePad cannot communicate
through it or receive any info.

I discovered that there should be two types of DB9 to Din8, where the
first one got some pin inverted instead of the second.
So the problem could be in my Mac adapter pin-out only. In a few days i
will receive that second type to give a try.
But i suspect that the consideration above about the adapter pin-out
could be faulty.
I know that the bluetooth chipset inside the Pico Plug is the same
Ericsson ROK installed in PICO PCMCIA and i would comprehend if Blunt
is simply not build to work on a PICO Plug, or if i really can use it
on my MessagePad via serial connection.

If Echkart could gently find the time to respond, i have a second
question: will Blunt2 be bluetooth-printing enabled?

P.S.:
I tested pairing a TiBook bluetooth enabled via D-Link USB adapter with
a PicoPlug connected via parallel port with a Epson Photo1270, then a
Stylus Color 600.
The result is that OS X pair with the PicoPlug succesfully with both
the printers, choosing 'any other device' option in the bluetooth
assistant.
Then i could install a bluetooth-printer queue using Gimp-Print 4.2.7.
Then i could send a print queue too, but although the PicoPlug start
receiving data [i could see the yellow led flashing] the printer did
not recognize the printing job.

Thanks for adding comments
Adriano