Re: [NTLK] GPS Mouse Antennas for Newton (was: Hiking Newton)

From: John (macnut_at_frys.com)
Date: Fri Feb 11 2005 - 10:55:44 PST

RAParker wrote:
> Success!
>
> I can confirm that GPS mouse style antennas will work with the Newton.
> Specifically, I purchased a Polstar PGM-111 antenna with the PS/2
> connector and their 9-pin RS-232 (w/USB power tap) adapter cable. There
> are other similar GPS devices available, from several different
> manufacturers, but I went with this specific (PS2/9Pin/USB) adapter
> because of its compactness, simplicity and versatility. The 9-Pin
> provides the RS-232 connection to my Newton and the USB power tap takes
> power from a USB battery pack or from a USB cigarette lighter adapter.
>
> You can look at the GPS antenna, RS-232 cables and the power supply
> setup here:
>
> http://webpages.charter.net/quadzillanet/newtongps.jpg

I'm really interested in this setup, as I have a Rand McNally "mouse"
antenna similer to this unit that I would like to use with my Newts. It
also has the 9-pin serial and PS/2 connector. I'd like to know where you
  got the other parts to connect it to the Newt, and what packages you
used and how it was set up.

Thanks!
JR

--
This sig contains no political, religious, or commercial content whatsoever.