Re: [NTLK] High Quality replacement MP2x00 white backlights

From: Calvin (cgrier_at_ix.netcom.com)
Date: Tue Feb 15 2005 - 19:19:51 PST

James,

Believe me, I'd love to have a white backlight with more brightness, but it's not in the cards today.

There's actually two ways to make white, and I chose the one that was brightest - even though it looks pink when turned off. The other approach looks white when on and white when off - but offers less light. White light is somewhat difficult ot generate because it's a combination of at least three other colors of light. One way to make white is to take the green (which gets energy from the A/C voltage), and add other color phosphors (which steal energy from the green photons that are bouncing about).

An EL backlight acts like a capacitor, and the phosphors are burried in the dialectric material. It's the E&M laws of physics that comes into play when trying to find a good, efficient phosphor - and green turns out to be best choice.

I don't understand the underlying physics of the materials, but it's fairly well understood by the chemists that make the green goop. :-) Unfortunately EL technology doesn't follow Moore's law. :-(