Re: [NTLK] GPS Mouse Antennas for Newton (was: Hiking Newton)

From: RAParker (raparker_at_quadzilla.net)
Date: Fri Feb 18 2005 - 09:22:18 PST

--- DJ Vollkasko <DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net> wrote:

> Ron, could you post a more detailed write-up
> on the Wiki? Like, what specs would a GPS
> which model you have,

Hi DJ:

I would like to update the Wiki with a summary of Newton GPS
information I've been discovering. I'm planning a photo essay about my
Lake Tahoe hiking Newton called, "How to pack your Newton." Once I put
the final touches on it, it will have most of the information as to how
to get Newton MP120's connected with these GPS mouse receivers.

Currently, I just finished compiling my first test map using NTK 1.6.4
and that went far more easily than I anticipated. I have also found a
free source for downloadable .tifs of the USGS 7.5 minute topo quads of
California. I'm planning on creating a few maps of some of the hiking
trails around the Tahoe basin. I also want to spend a little time to
hand edit and touch up the maps, cleaning them up and highlighting the
trails.

I'm now using my Newton MP120 (v2.0) with GPS Map 2.1 and I'm having a
great time. The software works well with my 120 and the speed seems
decent. No heap problems...thanks to Heap Saver. I also have a v1.3
MP120 and it can run GPS Map Lite 1.2.9 with no problems. I like the
additional features of the full 2.1 version of GPS Map so, for now, I
have moved away from using my v1.3 MP120...at least until the non-demo
of version 1.8.8 shows up on UNNA.

> does it have it's own
> batts or suck the Newt dry

The antenna runs off of a 4xAA USB battery supply and/or it can plug
into a cigarette lighter as well. But, the goal is to be able to run
without re-charging for 3 or 4 days, or even a week or more with a
solar charger.

If you didn't see the post with the links to the pictures, here are
those links again.

Version 1 of the Lake Tahoe hiking Newton
  http://webpages.charter.net/quadzillanet/howtopack.jpg

GPS mouse antenna, power supply and cables
  http://webpages.charter.net/quadzillanet/newtongps.jpg

I wanted to use the GPS mouse antenna because they are small,
inexpensive, and allow me to supply power independently of the Newton,
without using my PCMCIA slot. I have a 24MB card in that slot to store
the map containers.

The model I went with, as with other similar GPS mouse antennas, had an
adapter cable with a 9-pin serial (for the Newton) and a USB connector
(for a power tap). The USB is now a common power source interconnect
and it can be powered from just about any source.

> and all the (few) steps
> required to get it to play, would it work with a
> MP 1x0 as well as 2k, etc.? Please?

The NMEA83 standard...that's the beauty of it. It's pretty straight
forward. Once I had the 9-pin adapter cable for the Polstar PGM-111, it
was plug and play. It worked with both of my Newtons, right away.

> I'm not in the market at this time,
> but there just might be a trickle
> of cash flow towards me just before
> the paddling season starts, so it'd
> be great to be able to check out a
> GPS mouse/Newton page then (don't
> want to be found floating *up* the
> river, eh?! ;=] ).

I went whitewater rafting last summer on the American River.
Absolutely, the best time I have ever had in my entire life.

> Come to think of it, does the Wiki have a GPS-FAQ & Link-page?
> Couldn't find anything there, might be helpful, though.

Not yet, but I'll put something in there eventually.

Ron

=====

--
Sent using My Yahoo! HTTP Transport