Re: [NTLK] Newton packages versus OS X packages

From: Michael J. Hußmann (michael_at_michael-hussmann.de)
Date: Sun Feb 20 2005 - 16:19:43 PST

David M. Ensteness (denstene_at_mac.com) wrote:

>> The type and creator codes are stored in the PkgInfo file which you can
>> open in TextEdit.
>> It's a plain text file with no resource fork.
>
> I didn't realize that was where they were being moved to, nice to know.

Well, actually that's not quite true. What _is_ moved from an
application's resource fork into the PkgInfo file within an application
package (i.e. a folder) is the applications's signature. But when we are
talking about Newton package files and such, we are talking about
documents, not applications. The type and creator codes of an
application's documents are still meta data, just as they used to be.
They are still not stored within either the data or the resource fork.

- Michael

Michael J. Hussmann

E-mail: michael_at_michael-hussmann.de
WWW (personal): http://michael-hussmann.de