Re: [NTLK] problem

From: Peter H. Coffin (hellsop_at_ninehells.com)
Date: Tue Feb 22 2005 - 08:41:32 PST

On Mon, Feb 21, 2005 at 10:20:25PM -0800, W L wrote:
> You're wrong. Personal use of any company equipment and web access
> without prior written consent from corporate counsel whether on company
> time or personal time is wrong and against company policy. Check your
> employment agreement.

Depends on the policy. If it's forbidden, it's forbidden. If it's
permitted, it's permitted. And what the policy says overrides counsel,
for better or worse. Because the policy's what's actionable, not
counsel's opinion. (Additionally, it's *usually* advisable to explicitly
permit some personal use of company equipment and internet resources,
simply to cover this kind of gap -- being able to disavow responsibility
for a worker's online behaviour *could* be a useful thing, in cases like
these.

--
"The bullets are just his way of saying 'Keep it down, I've got a
hangover.'"