[NTLK] IrDA Connection and Most Important Files to Install

From: Sean Riddle (swriddle_at_gmail.com)
Date: Wed Feb 23 2005 - 02:24:19 PST

Hello all,

Thanks to assitance from a Newton user in my area, I have been able to
install a few packages. I installed Neo and Nitro, to enable infrared
package installations. I noticed that IC/VC should also have been
installed. I assume that is to install a package once it is in the
inbox? Also, the Newton does not want to communicate with infrared
directly with a Windows laptop. I was able to transfer a file from the
laptop to my Ericsson cell phone, and then to my Newton from there.
The only problem is that to get the file to transfer to my cell phone,
I had to append a .jpg to the end of the file. I can't tell without
some way to install the package, but will the extension matter, or is
it based on MIME type, or something like that that wouldn't be
affected?

So, it looks like I will have to go back to the Newton user to install
IC/VC. Will that solve the infrared problem? Also, does anyone have
any idea why the Newton does not directly connect to the Windows
laptop? The laptop sees it intermittently, but no files can be
transferred. Lastly, since I'm going to get the whole package
installation machine set up, which involves an old Powerbook, a new
PowerBook, and three separate cables, are there any other important
things I might want to install?

- Sean