Re: [NTLK] Help for new eMate User - Confused!

From: James Nichols (smilr_at_mac.com)
Date: Fri Feb 25 2005 - 22:44:42 PST

The problem I think is that you expect the newton to be "always
connected" to the network, like a desktop or laptop. The Newton however
only engages the connection (turns on the lights on the card) when it
actually wants to make use of it, so Woody suggested trying an internet
using program on the newt to make it attempt to connect to the network.

The issue seems to be that you might not have any programs that want to
talk to the internet installed... try getting one on there and
launching it, see what it does.

In order to use Escale over ethernet you will need to have the Dock
TCP/IP package installed on the newton. Then Start Escale on the mac,
start Dock on the eMate (make sure it is the generic dock, not an
educational use program called teacherDock or something similar.

On the newton, in Dock, you should see a picker labeled "Connect via" -
select TCP/IP in this, then tap the Prefs button. Another window should
come up, with the option to manually put in the address / port # of the
mac running Escale, or to use ZeroConf (meaning Appletalk, not
rendezvous in this context).

Close the prefs window, and tap connect. At this point it should engage
the network connection, and attempt to find the mac. If you chose
zeroconf - another window with a list of all macs running Escale that
the newton can find will pop up - select the one you want to use.

If it connects - the Newton picture in Escale should flash a couple of
times, then stay "green" - install / synch as you will.

J Tyler Nichols