[NTLK] Phone connector pin assignment in the UK

From: Frank Gruendel (fg2_at_pda-soft.de)
Date: Mon Feb 28 2005 - 15:42:11 PST

Hi all,

I need to know the pin assignment a RJ12 (Western) connector would
have to have in order to work with the phone system in the United
Kingdom. RJ12 is a 6 pin connector. I need to know which two pins
will be connected to the two wires that come into one's house for
the analog phone system. Most likely it'll be either 2 and 5 or
3 and 4. I've spend the better part of three hours trying to find
this info in the web, but in vain. If this is described somewhere,
I'd be thankful for a hint. All I know that there even seems to be
a difference between Ireland and the United kingdom. Argh. Again,
I need the this infor for the United Kingdom.
Another way to ask this question: Will a German phone work without
an adapter in an English setup with a RJ12 jack?

Thanks

Frank