Re: [NTLK] NiMH Rechargeable Batteries

From: Sonny Hung (sonnyhung_at_gmail.com)
Date: Mon Feb 28 2005 - 21:47:37 PST

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 12:48:06 +0900, James Wages <james_at_kiramek.com> wrote:
> Alkalines at rated at 1.5v, but the NiMH batteries range from 1.20v to
> 1.25v. Most vendors are not forthright about the voltage. And while it's
> not a serious problem, the Newton will never say the batteries are 100%
> charged because the voltage level is too low. I still get longer life out
> of the NiMH batteries, but the battery level rides at 60% or lower after a
> fresh charge.

Here's a tip for anyone using NiMH is the Battery Tray.
This is not a guarantee but something I use and it seems to work well. :)

Even though the Newton sees a battery tray an assumes it's filled with
alkalines - Get Nick's Soft Charge - this will allow you to change the
battery type from Alkaline to which ever type you are using in the
Newton.

Options it offers are alkaline, NiCd, NiMh and LiIon.

One thing I'm not certain is the capacity it's measuring. Since
original NiMHs are like around 1200mAh IIRC and I use 2400mAh then I
assume that there is a base setting it is calculating from because
it's at 100% capacity for a bit longer that what it should be. But
when it reads below the 100% mark it is fairly accurate.

I've got to get those 2500mAh NiMH I've read about to test out. By the
way most 2400mAh are around $9.99 to 10.99 a pack of four here in the
US (Target) but if someone is interested I can be persuaded to
purchase bulk again and sell them for $10 for a four pack plus
shipping via USPS Air Mail to the Continental US if I get say 15
orders of a four pack AA 2400 mAh... I'd have to look into them but it
could be possibly done...Pre-Paid of course... shipping worldwide is
possible but the cost is likely prohibitive.

--
God bless,
Sonny Hung