[NTLK] Wifi Woes

From: Vaughn Corden (vaughn_at_corden.com)
Date: Wed Jan 05 2005 - 20:35:00 PST

I've made a lot of headway with my new Newton 2100 the last few days in
almost all respects. Can anyone give me any advice on my last
outstanding issue?

I still can't get my Lucent Turbo Bronze card to work. I know there's
been a lot of discussion on this issue with other users, but I haven't
yet hit on my magic solution.

The Newton recognizes the card, but I get DNS errors. I've carefully
followed all of the directions I've received so far and I have all of
the appropriate packages installed. My network is pretty straight
forward. I have a Netgear router connected to a cable modem and an
Airport Express connected to the Netgear router. The Netgear is doing
DHCP and I have a static IP assigned to the Airport Express. The
Airport Express has DHCP turned off because all IPs are dished out by
the Netgear router. On the Newton, I've assigned in Internet Setup a
static IP compatible with my network. The gateway/router is set to my
Netgear router's IP. For DNS, I've tried both my ISPs DNS and the
Netgear router's IP. I've tried a few other things, like changing the
Airport Express to channel 1 (only because in the setup for the card it
says "Channel 1 (ignored)" - not quite sure what this means). I believe
all of my network settings are correct, but I'm obviously missing
something somewhere. When I launch Nethopper, I get the Connect slip.
When I tap Connect a couple of windows flash by that say "initializing"
and "engaging" the ethernet driver and then the "looking for host"
windows pops up. Finally, I get an error message from Nethopper that
says "No response from your current DNS server. Check your Internet
connections or contact the server administrator." Pretty much the same
thing happens with Newts Cape or Courier.

Based on my limited Newton experience, I can't tell if this is a
hardware or software issue. The only deviation I've made from all of
the advice I've read so far is that I did not install the packages in a
particular order. Do you think this could cause my DNS problem? I guess
I could delete everything and put them all back in the suggested order.
Would that help? Or do I need to do another brain wipe before
reinstalling the packages in the specific order?

The only other bit of information I can provide is that I am not
getting any steady lights on the card. When I first plug it in I get a
steady power light for a few seconds. When I tap connect, both LEDs
flash briefly until I get the DNS error. At all other times both LEDs
are off.

Again, thank you all!

- Vaughn