Re: [NTLK] Lament for a dying eMate

From: Martin Joseph (martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Fri Jan 07 2005 - 10:18:32 PST

On Jan 7, 2005, at 2:47 AM, Thomas Sluyter wrote:
<snip>
> Now, when I bought the eMate the seller (Simon who's also a member of
> this mailing list) mentioned that the battery was still the original
> from '97, so I'm not completely surprised by the eMates behaviour. Just
> thought I'd be a bit of a drama queen :P

<snip>

Unfortunately the eMate actually has some problems with it's power
management, that no other newtons share.

For example, when you MP2100 tells you the system had to restart,
because all power was removed, it really was. Not so with emate....

Also, I am not sure if this has anything to do with the automatic lid
switch, but that seems like a candidate, since clearly the MP120 I
had worked brilliantly with no hint of these kind issues, so some
change made to the emate's hardware/firmware must have added this bug.

Personally I find it quite annoying and disturbing having grown used to
the rock solid behavior of other Newts in this respect....

Marty

PS These batteries are also very easy to recell relative to MP2000's