Re: [NTLK] Has anyone installed CU successfully

From: Clayton Mitchell (claytonmitchell_at_mac.com)
Date: Sat Jan 08 2005 - 18:48:24 PST

B=F8rre Ludvigsen wrote:

>Does anyone have the possibility of making an archive of a ready
>installation? Or won't this work? My working memory of the in's and
>out's of pre-OS X systems is getting somewhat hazy and without the
>appropriate hardware, there is nothing to jog it.
> =20

I have successfully completed the on a g4 iBook. I am posting exactly=20
how I did this, I do not know if all of the steps I took are necessary,=20
I just put them in as an example of a successful install.

1) download the NCU installer. I only got this to work with the full=20
installer. I was able to get the 3 img files to mount but you have to=20
place them in the os 9 applications folder and open them with the os 9=20
disk copy utility after you have started the classic environment.

2) start the classic environment.

3) unstuff the .sit file with the os 9 version of stuffit.

4) launch the NCU installer. It will take several minutes for it to=20
fully launch after you press the agree button. I was not able to get it =

to load with the "Easy install" option. It stalled on 23 of 24 items=20
XTND Translators.

5)once the NCU installer fully launches press the "Custom" option. =20
Install the NCU in this order and in the os 9 applications folder 1)=20
application only. 2)Communications tool only 3)Translators only. After=20
each instillation I clicked the continue option to install the next part =

of NCU.

When I did this they installed really quickly, after waiting for the=20
installer to finish "preparing to Install".

If you have any problems with the installer loading throw the unstuffed=20
installer in the trash, quit the classic environment, restart the=20
classic environment, rebuild the desktop, again unstuff the NCU .sit=20
file with the os 9 version of stuffit and start again.

I was able to repeat these steps so I know this will work.

Cheers
    Clayton