Re: [NTLK] caller ID phonecalls

From: Daniel Padilla (dproldan_at_telefonica.net)
Date: Sun Jan 09 2005 - 11:41:22 PST

>I'm thinking of hooking up my MP2k or eMate to use for
>phonebook-dialer and Caller ID purposes, among other things. The FAQs
>is down now, and I seem to recall a past answer on the Caller ID
>question.
>But, how is this done? Do I use a compatible modem as a simple
>connector to the phoneline?

You can use a phone line doubler (don't know the right word in english), it
has one RJ-11 male and converts to two RJ-11 female, in parallel.

> If so, does the modem itself have to be
>dialed in (thus using up the phoneline preventing incoming calls) when
>dialing out with the Newton Names-phoneline-dialing feature?

    The newton will dial with that setup, you can even tell it to ignore
the dial tone.

> If not, super, but if so, then is there a software that will show Caller
> ID on
>incoming calls with the modem off but still connected (for adapter
>purposes)?

    You can use Ringer for that, among other things, it has a window where
it shows all the data received from the modem when receiving a call. It is
difficult to find a caller ID compatible PC card modem though, you can only
test it and see if it works.

http://dev.newtontalk.net/~dpadilla/progs/Ringer/ringer.zip

and some info about it:

http://dev.newtontalk.net/~dpadilla/2003_03_16_archive.htm