Re: [NTLK] lament for a dying eMate

From: Frank Gruendel (newtontalk_at_pda-soft.de)
Date: Sun Jan 09 2005 - 12:13:40 PST

> For the record, I'm *VERY* non-hardware-technical and
> not very adept with a soldering iron at all, and I found
> installing a battery tray to be trivially easy (much easier
> than the instructions I'd read for making a new battery pack
> seemed). It did involve cutting a little bit of the eMate
> plastics to get the tray to fit properly, but it was
> really dead simple, and now I can not only use straight NiMH AA
> batteries, and replace them trivially, but if I run dry in the
> middle of nowhere I can toss a set of alkalines from the corner
> store in.

If you installed a battery tray in your eMate that includes the
temperature resistor (in other words: if the eMate charges the
batteries in this tray), I wouldn't put alkalines in this tray
unless I had a spare eMate and a spare life. The eMate would try
to charge the alkalines, which is something they hate and which
might easily cause them to explode.

-- Newton Software and Hardware at http://www.pda-soft.de