Re: [NTLK] re-celling a battery

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Jan 21 2005 - 14:27:20 PST

Well, I hate to answer a question with a question, but
it makes a point:
Have you ever tried to solder batteries together? It's
almost impossible to do so without creating a cold
solder joint. While the metal caps will readily take
solder, you can never heat the cap hot enough to get
proper solder flow using a normal soldering iron. I
tried using one of those mini-butane torches and it
certainly flowed the solder well, but the battery
overheated and burst *yuck*
Now, I did get one of those "Cold Heat" soldering
irons for x-mas, but I haven't used it yet...but I
doubt that it will do any better. The tabs on tabbed
batteries are spot-welded to the metal caps so that
prevents serious heat from damaging the battery
(although, I think if you left the soldering iron on
the battery tab long enough, you could overheat the
battery, but that is just looking for an excuse to
burst a battery!)

Sorry, I don't have an answer for number 2
Ed
web/gadget guru

--- Sonya Hipper <sonyalynn_at_earthlink.net> wrote:

> Hi, all...
>
> I have a couple questions about re-celling MP2x00
> battery packs.
>
> 1) Does one HAVE to use solder-tab batteries? (And
> what, if any, are=20
> the advantages over more "standard" AA-sized NiMHs?)
> 2) Assuming my attempt fails, is there anyone in the
> US (sorry,=20
> Frank...the shipping to Germany is prohibitive!) who
> will re-cell one=20
> given the packs and cells to do so, and how much do
> you charge (so to=20
> speak :-P )?
>
> Thanks!
> -Sonya

=====
"I'm not an expert, but I *did* stay at a Holiday Inn Express once..."
     --Holiday Inn Commercial