Re: [NTLK] Modem-to-Modem SUCESS!!!

From: varistor_at_verizon.net
Date: Sun Jan 23 2005 - 17:01:32 PST

On Jan 23, 2005, at 5:23 PM, Sonny Hung wrote:

I apologize for the mailing errors.

> Okay great,....
>
> Now one item I', having problems with is the Harris. I still can't get
> it to boot up...
> when you tried it how long with the power connected did you wait till
> the screen started..

No more than three seconds for the backlight to come on,
barring the need for a reset.

> I've got to get a hold of this and figure it out on mine...
>
> Did you change anything???

No.

> Give me a blow by blow and how you connected power and any detail that
> may be useful as I've connected the 6V with no response up to now...
> maybe mine are dead??

Alright, I'm going to keep this probably unnecessarily detailed, but I
don't
want to miss anything.

1. Flip your Harris over and remove the battery door.
The should be four large contacts at the bottom end,
one on each side, and two in the middle.
2. The right-most contact is the negative terminal,
the left-most terminal is the positive terminal.
3. The power source I'm using measures at 6.2 volts,
though it probably measures less under load.
I simply connected this to the respective contacts.
4. However, I have observed cases where I connect the power and nothing
happens. The Harris did however start up after I pressed the reset
button,
which is the largest of the three buttons to the right of the back-up
battery.

If everything works, the backlight should come on, and the unit should
start up.
(I've discovered that one of the extensions that it came with adds a
backlight preference
that lets you set a time-off for the back-light. There apparently isn't
any easy way to just
turn it off.)

The power supply I'm using is the same Radio Shack white 1000 mA wall
wort
I use with my 2100. I connected it with two pieces of wire and some
electrical tape,
which is admittedly, quite advanced.

What sort of power supply are you using? A battery? A power transformer?

Hope this helps.

(Whoops...didn't send this to the list)
P.S.
I think adding a nuShield caused my Harris to get the Jaggies.

-The Evil Overlord