Re: [NTLK] Newton (Fast) Serial Docking for newbies

From: RAParker (RAParker_at_Quadzilla.NET)
Date: Fri Jan 28 2005 - 08:34:45 PST

On Friday, January 28, 2005, at 06:36 AM, Adriano wrote:

> I succesfully, stably synchronized the MP with my Mac at 230400kbps
> using the descripted above cheap bargain with the software utilities
> below:
> Escale on OS X / NCU on OS X (in classic emulation) / NCU on OS 9 =
(with
> Serial Enabler locked at 230400kbps on the serial printer port)

Holy Mol=E9! This is fantastic! It seems so obvious (using an RS-232 to=20=

USB adapter) but I went the Keyspan method (for compatibility) and I=20
haven't been really happy with the speed (I think I clocked it at about=20=

24Kbps).

I'm guessing this was done with a MP2x00? What are the chances for=20
getting this idea to work with an MP120 v2.0? Anyone know the maximum=20
speeds for serial ports on various Newtons? I was always under the=20
belief that 115Kbps was possible, because of the AppleTalk protocol,=20
with the right cable and software modifications I was sure that I could=20=

see dramatically higher speeds.

> Thanks for reading, hope this report would be of help.

230Kbps!? Holy Mol=E9! I'm there! Great information, very detailed and=20=

informative. I'm going to try your ideas right away. Thank YOU!

Ron

--
---