Re: [NTLK] PhoneNet RJ11 cabling

From: hellsop_at_ninehells.com
Date: Wed Jul 06 2005 - 06:26:53 PDT

On Wed, Jul 06, 2005 at 07:47:27AM -0400, Mac User wrote:
> Then, I do not understand something. I did put one on my laserjet and
> plug another one directly (with a phone cable no in the wall) to my
> Newton MP110, and I saw the printer in the AppleTalk network window.
> I did then plug my phonetnet of the laser in the wall, and goes in
> another room and pluged the Newton there, but the printer was not
> visible. Is it possible that the high speed Internet ADSL filter bloc
> something? or that the alarm system is in cause?

Phonenet uses the outer pair of wiring.

If you have something that uses that second pair for something else, be
it DSL or a dedicated line for an alarm system to dial out, or for an
alarm system sensor network, then phonenet will work poorly or not at
all. A DSL filter on the innermost pair of wires will not affect
phonenet.

--
I still want a phone with caller-IQ.
			    -- Tanuki in the monastery