Re: [NTLK] Total frustration - about to bin it!

From: Matthew Reidsma (mreidsma_at_mac.com)
Date: Fri Jul 08 2005 - 06:49:36 PDT

On Friday, July 08, 2005, at 09:32AM, Brian <spylaw4_at_mac.com> wrote:

>Every so often I take it by surprise and it emails (Simple Mail) ok -
>but when I try to repeat the process just after that it fails. Why
>should this happen?

Brian,

I've had this issue in the past with Simplemail as well, and although no one has ever been able to give me an explanation, I have found a workaround. I have used this technique reliably about 10 times, on various different email addresses, SMTP servers, Owner's accounts, and Newtons. It works. Let's just hope that it works for you.

Go into your Owner's card and "Show All." Now select your Simplemail setup. In the SMTP section, check the "Authenticate" box, and enter a password for the SMTP server. It doesn't matter that your server won't authenticate, and it doesn't matter what you put for a password. Just trust me and do it. Now, try to send mail from the In/Out Box (make sure you have something to send!). It will predictably fail, butthat's ok. Go back to the Owner's card and uncheck the "Authenticate" box under SMTP server. Now try to send mail again. Should work like a charm.

Here is the original thread from Newtontalk (This is also an issue for me with POP servers):

http://tinyurl.com/cxv5s

Hope that helps!

Matthew Reidsma
Boston, MA U.S.A.