Re: [NTLK] Connection by Ethernet & Wifi-nearly there!

From: Woody Smith (woodysmith_at_comcast.net)
Date: Fri Jul 08 2005 - 15:39:02 PDT

On Jul 8, 2005, at 11:35 AM, Jon Scordia wrote:

> Thanks Woody.
>
> Your email has set me thinking. What exactly am I hoping to achieve
> here? There are so many interesting and useful helper apps out
> there that I need to focus on my aims. If I set out my aspirations
> I'm sure the list can give me some realism! I currently have three
> potential ways of linking the Newton to the oustide world as follows:
>

> 2. Ethernet connection. As a way of getting files on and off the
> Newton, ideally to take Text files off the Newton to be converted
> to Word docs and to drop excel docs onto the Next. I had hoped that
> My Newt would mount on the Mac desktop like my Psion used to!
> (Again via NCU to the PC I think I can do this but DONT want to
> rely on the PC as part of my setup)

If you run classic you can connect via ethernet to NCU. I use either
NCU or email to get documents to my desktop computer. I don't use
excel but I believe it is compatible with the Newtworks spreadsheet.

> 3. Wifi. To use the Newt as a device for remotely surfing the net
> via an existing airport network and maybe do the same in the local
> coffee shop. Of course If I can use Wifi to replace the Ethernet
> connection and upload/download files I will.

I use Wifi to connect to my Airport network, This works for NCU, Web
access and email, The Wavelan silver will allow wep but if the
coffee shop requires a secure connection, no go.