Re: [NTLK] Lost Files?

From: Dan (dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com)
Date: Mon Jul 11 2005 - 08:09:50 PDT

> I therefore wanted to restore my eMate using the second card that I was
> sent. The only thing I had on my eMate was some Newtworks files. I
> copied these on to the first card I was sent and also made a backup of
> Newtworks. However, when I came to reinsert the card into the eMate,
> it again brought up the dialogue box which only offered me the option
> to erase the card, which I haven't done. As I had used the folder
> option to get those files on to the card, there are no longer on the
> eMate's internal memory. It seems that there is a fault with the card,
> or, at best, some compatibility issue between it an my eMate.
>
> My question is whether there is any way I can get those files back, or
> do I simply have to accept that they are lost for ever? I could really
> do with being able to get them back! I don't want to do anything else
> on the eMate until I have got this issue sorted out, if that is even
> possible.

Well the long and the short of it is....they are probably gone. Now for
the details: With the Newton you don't "copy" packages as you can with
a desktop. Instead you "move" them which is what you did. Technically
this is copying but the Newt won't keep the original and once it copies
the package from the internal memory to the card, it deletes the
original. There is no way around this, it is built into the OS (at
least none that I know of, perhaps there is a package that will allow
this, but I have not personally heard of one). While you can backup to
a card (by using the card slip), with packages it is a all or nothing
deal. You can't select which packages to backup. You can select what
data (soup) to backup, but not packages.

But as I said, since you use the Extras to move information and
packages, there is no copy you can restore unless you can get that card
working again. It sounds like the card corrupted. Erasing it will
probably fix the problem but you will loose all your data. You can try
putting it in another Newton, and see if you can read the card then, but
I doubt it will work (still worth a try though). If you do get the card
readable on another newton, back it up using NCU, erase the card, and
restore you data. If this is not a option, then you could beam packages
and data from one Newt to the other. Regardless I would test that card
a lot and make sure that it is ok before I would trust my data to it
again (probably is, but it is always good to be cautious in cases like
this).

-Dan