[NTLK] [OT] [FS] Sony Vaio 505F laptop running Debian...

From: Matthew Reidsma (mreidsma_at_mac.com)
Date: Mon Jun 06 2005 - 08:42:46 PDT

Listers,

Sorry for the off-topic For-sale post, but it should be clear why I chose to post it here on this list in a moment:

I have a Sony Vaio PCG-505F Pentium 233Mhz laptop running Debian Woody. The laptop has 64Mb of RAM, weighs in at about 2.5 lbs, and has a brand new battery that pulls in about 2.5+ hours under APM with X windows and mp3blaster going. It will make it closer to 3 hours running in console only. Laptop includes:

Floppy drive module
Vaio Docking station (plug-in to give you serial, PS2, and serial ports)
WiFi Card (Compaq WL110)
New (as of February) battery 2.5+ hours
Extra battery (.5-1 hour) *
AC adapter
Nice laptop sleeve
Debian Woody floppies (22 of them!) *
Serial cable for connecting Newton to PC DB-9 serial port
"Linux Cookbook" book, full of great Debian tips *

* : These I'm throwing in for free to help clear out space, so if you want to save on shipping and you don't want them, I can donate them to Goodwill.

I'm asking $150.00 plus shipping for everything from Boston, MA, 02143. (The battery cost be $75 just a few months ago, and with the Wifi card, floppy drive, and sleeve, I think that's a fair price. Feel free to make an offer if you don't agree.) I'd prefer a U.S. sale, but will consider international shipping as well.

I posted this to this list since I do not have a CD drive for the Vaio and because the machine is running Linux. I wanted to make sure that this little guy, who has served me very well during graduate school, went to a technically-inclined owner. That's where this list comes in. This little laptop was almost a Newton-killer for the time that I had it. It only weighs about twice as much as the Newton, but it connects to the VPN network on campus and the keyboard is quite nice. I'm happy to answer any questions about the machine off-list.

And now, back to more talking about Newtons...

-Matthew Reidsma
Boston, MA U.S.A.