Re: [NTLK] [NTLK][OT] Concerning Apple's Switch to Intel Chips...

From: hellsop_at_ninehells.com
Date: Wed Jun 08 2005 - 19:59:13 PDT

On Wed, Jun 08, 2005 at 06:00:59PM -0700, ccsccs7 wrote:
> It's funny. I felt a bit ill with this news. But the transition from
> 68K to PowerPC reminds me of something. I felt a bit upset that our
> family's first Mac didn't have an original "Mac" processor, but one
> made in development with IBM, etc. I've gotten over that now. I guess
> we just have to wait and see what happens to know how we'll trully
> feel about it.

'zactly. Net result to the user experience is likely to be remarkable in
how little it changes. OSs are way past the point where an architecture
difference is going to radically change what the computer can do. The
only place where you may see a difference is that you have to wait three
days for your machine to show up when you order one instead of a week,
and you might run the space heater a little less often in the office.
The processor switch won't save hundreds of dollars on the price of the
machine, it won't speed your "user experience" up any more than buying a
high-rpm hard drive would, it won't magically triple your World of
Warcraft framerate.

--
"This system operates under martial law. The constitution is suspended. You
 have no rights except as declared by the area commander. Violators will be