Re: [NTLK] [OT] Concerning Apple's Switch to Intel Chips...

From: Ola Tuvesson (ola_at_mikrogroove.com)
Date: Thu Jun 09 2005 - 19:25:35 PDT

Apple have always relied a lot on the affection of their userbase, be it
worship of the OS or hardware fetischism. Though I am mainly a PC user I
have always had one foot in either camp and can see the benefits of OSX as
well as the beauty of some of the Apple designs. David Ensteness provided
some very interesting info on the history of OSX and it seems clear that the
incompatibilities with standard hardware are small if any. I for one think
it could prove a great move if Apple chose to take on Microsoft head on...

> For the Mac users out there who need a rallying cry - consider this,
> Windows PC advocates and MS won't be able to make any claims of your
> hardware isn't as good as ours etc ... because hardware will become
> neutral. The fight for the desktop has *always* been a software fight.

So true...

>> Whatever method employed to stop this from being done will likely be
highly
>> artificial since the hardware will be essentially identical.

> Not necessarily. Theoretically, Apple could build these systems the way
they
> build the PowerPC Macs: buy chips from $chip_maker and build a computer
> around it, using custom ASICs for glue.

> More likely, though, they will buy complete motherboards, possibly built
> Apple spec, from Intel.

Exactly my point...

Lomax