[NTLK] Need help: Can't start Einstein

From: Frank Gruendel (fg2_at_pda-soft.de)
Date: Sun Jun 12 2005 - 14:18:41 PDT

Hi folks,

I have a problem with starting Einstein and thought that maybe someone
out there has an idea what the problem is.

I am trying it with a G3 PowerBook Pismo running Mac OSX 10.3.8. I know
that Paul says Einstein was done on a G4, but I don not see any
immediate reason why it should not work on a G3.

I was able to do the Rom dump using Paul's RomDumper package without a
problem. Pretty impressing, by the way, dumping the Newton's ROM
wirelessly to my Mac.
I renamed the file to 717006 and put it into Einstein's data folder, as
the manual says I should.

I can't, though, start Einstein. If I click on Einstein in the Cocoa
flavor folder, it seems that something is started (only visible because
the icon bar at the bottom changes its width for a short time) and
immediately afterwards closed. There isn't any GUI to be seen on the
screen.

If I try to start Einstein through the CLI flavor folder typing, as the
manual requests,

./einstein --machine=717006 data

I get the following error:

dyld: ./einstein can't open library: /usr/lib/libstdc++.6.dylib (No
such file or directory, errno = 2)
Trace/BPT trap

This file is in fact not present in /usr/lib. I have no idea why. Could
it be that I haven't Cocoa installed? I have no idea how to find this
out or if installing it is the default in the OSX installation routine.
How does one find out if Cocoa is installed? I just read in a newsgroup
that the Terminal application is a Cocoa application itself, so maybe I
am on a completely wrong track here.
I did of course read Paul's manual and what I was able to find at the
Wiki first, but this particular problem isn't mentioned there.

Ah, yes, another thing: How on earth do I normally start the Terminal
app? I did not find a way to start it from the menu bar, I was only
able to start it from the Mac's built-in help.

Thanks in advance

Frank