Re: [NTLK] .pkg Problem from a longtime newbie

From: barbara hesselgrave (64mgb_at_shentel.net)
Date: Mon Jun 13 2005 - 19:50:09 PDT

And yet, another newbie eMate problem, (REALLY new!) where to download
the 300 Newt owners manual since mine did not come with one (it's used
of course, and is otherwise pristine) so it sits next to my iMac
incommunicado. This is so basic its ridiculous, but there we are..when
you stop laughing any ideas would be very nice, thanks of course..
blh
On Monday, June 13, 2005, at 10:29 PM, David Abramowitz wrote:

> On Jun 13, 2005, at 9:02 PM, Zander Goss wrote:
>>
>> I just got around a bootstrapping problem with my eMate, I have no
>> idea what I did to get past it, but suddenly, it works (which just
>> goes to show how little I know about what I'm doing). Now I want to
>> install a slew of packages to my Newt, but on my computer, they're
>> listed as .pkg files, without the proper icon, y'know? NCU does not
>> recognize them. I don't know what to do to the files to make NCU
>> accept them and allow me to install them as packages.
> For OS 9, there's PackType, http://home.comcast.net/~saweyer/newton/
> toolinfo.htm#PackType
>
> For OS X, there's Packager, http://metastasis.net/mici/pkgs/pkger_e.html
>
> Or for sh$ts and giggles (the non-NCU option), you can turn on the
> web server on your mac, put the .pkg files in the root directory,
> and use a Newton web browser to download and install them all at once.
>
> And I'd be remiss if I didn't say don't forget to check the FAQ :),
> but then again I always thought "remiss" was a term used in gender
> reassignment. Ah, it's late, I really must get to bed.
>
> - Dave
>
> --
> inquiries
> http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/

Barbara L. Hesselgrave, Writer/Producer
IAFRICCA
Independent African Film Resources in Conservation, Community &
Agriculture
+1 540 843 3200