Re: [NTLK] [OT]Concerning Apple's Switch to Intel Chips...

From: Martin Joseph (martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Mon Jun 13 2005 - 21:08:12 PDT

On Jun 13, 2005, at 6:30 PM, Mechcozmo wrote:

>> That is the way obsolete mac hardware works (ie xpostfacto on older
>> macs can run 10.4 we are just unsupported).
>
> Isn't it painfully slow to run Tiger on even the bottom of the line
> G3s?
No, it runs well even on unsupported hardware, like the original G3/233
imac for example, as long as it has enough RAM (at LEAST 256M).
> I know that on the flower-power iMacs, Panther was pretty slow.=20
> But going even slower?
I have many customers with lesser hardware then you describe that are
thrilled with panther, and tiger runs at least as well if not better in
some areas. I am not saying these low end boxes are good for video
editing or 3d animation...

> So, do tell. How does it run?
It's fine. I installed a G3/350 B/W last week, and was worried, but
it ran flawlessly, once the spotlight indexing was initially
completed... The DVD player was perfect also.

The trick widgets effects are not present due to old/low end video
hardware...

OSX has improved performance in every point release to date, especially
on older lower end machines, in my experience.

Marty