Re: [NTLK] Reading books on Newt

From: Woody Smith (woodysmith_at_comcast.net)
Date: Sun Jun 26 2005 - 09:59:11 PDT

I don't think that this problem has anything to do with your Newton,
I believe that it is a problem with Newton Press.
I haven't had problems with books that I have done with the default
font 'espy sans'. And the problem doesn't show until the book is
compiled as a Newton Book. You don't see it until you start to read
the book on the Newton so some problem books have been uploaded,
though I find most to be OK
For a work around I convert the book to NewtWorks. Steve Weyer wrote
an extension 'HTMList' that will let you save a Newton book as a
works document. Be sure to set page range to all.
see <http://mywebpages.comcast.net/saweyer/newton/index.htm>
It takes a long time (several minutes) to convert a book but I have
found it wortwhile for the problem you mention, missing words are
there, as well as for books with print that is too small for me to read.

once transfer is complete you will need to set the margins to screen
width.

Keep in mind that you will be reading the book in a word processor so
keep your curser with you and be careful not to edit.

Woody