[NTLK] [ANN] Newted Community Server IP Address Changes

From: Grant Hutchinson (grant_at_splorp.com)
Date: Mon Jun 27 2005 - 19:37:34 PDT

Newted Community Server IP Address Changes

This is a notice for all Newted Community members.

The ISP which supplies my DSL connection is changing the IP addresses
assigned to its customers. The upside of this is that my ISP (and
therefore customers like myself) will be less dependent on a certain
unnamed <cough>Telus<cough> monolithic telecommunications corporation.
The downside is that I have to change IP addresses on several live
servers, including the one which handles the Newted Community web site
and the associated member accounts.

What does this mean to you?

It means that if you have a Newted Community account, access to your
Newted Community email and ftp accounts may be temporarily disrupted. I
say 'may be disrupted' because... if you are using the newted.dyndns.org
domain to access the server and as your primary Newted Community email
account, you're in the clear.

However, if you are using the newted.org, newted.com, newted.net, or
newted.info domains to access the server or for your email account, it
will take longer for these domains to be associated with the new IP
address.

Please note that the newted.dyndns.org domain always has been - and
always will be - the default address for the Newted Community server and
its services.

When is this going to happen?

I would like to start the changeover to the new IP address within the
next 24 hours. Any disruptions, should they occur, will happen within 24
hours of the timne of the changeover. (More or less.)

Ok, so what's the bottom line?

Never fear. With enough good fortune on our side, this change should
occur with a minimum of fuss and very little disruption. In situations
like this, outages are never completely unavoidable. However, I will make
sure that the downtime is kept to an absolute minimum and that it occurs
during non-business hours.

If you have any questions about this change or how it might affect your
Newted Community account, please let me know.

Grant

Grant Hutchinson Newted Community Handyman

grant_at_newted.dyndns.org newted.dyndns.org
newted_at_mac.com