Re: [NTLK] [OT] CAT Emulator?

From: Bruce E. Durocher II (bedii_at_qwest.net)
Date: Tue Mar 01 2005 - 18:11:09 PST

        I misspoke: it wasn't a software emulator, but was an operating
environment initially called "The Humane Interface" after his book, and
later renamed Archie. I remember THE as available for the Mac in an
early incarnation--Archie is still due to be released later this year
(they got some major funding for it at the beginning of the year) for
Windows, with Linux and Mac versions to follow. It's a pretty
interesting concept, and I'm going to have to get a copy of the book
when I can afford it..

On Mar 1, 2005, at 4:49 PM, Grant Hutchinson wrote:

> In a previous message, Brad C. Schmidt typed vigorously:
>
>>> of us that have been spoiled by using Canon Cats. I understand
>>> there's
>>> a software version, but it's just not the same thing...
>>>
>> There's an emulator? Cool. Where? Anyone? Anyone?
>
> I'm not sure if there was an actual emulator. You might be thinking of
> the Swyft system which preceded the Cat. There was a SwyftCard for the
> Apple II, complete with stick-on Leap keys for the keyboard.
>
> http://www.digibarn.com/collections/systems/swyft/
> http://www.digibarn.com/collections/parts/swyft-card/
>
> The Computer Barn site has a fantastic section dedicated to Jef Raskin,
> btw.
>
> http://www.digibarn.com/friends/jef-raskin/
>
> g.

Bruce E. Durocher II