Re: [NTLK] Father of the Mac dies

From: Mike Detlefsen (mdetlefsen_at_mac.com)
Date: Thu Mar 03 2005 - 17:42:21 PST

It's on record that Jef Raskin did NOT want a mouse (he wanted
dedicated metakeys) or the 68000 processor (he wanted the 6809). He
started the project and put together a brilliant team which was then
usurped by Steve Jobs. Raskin left the project just as it was getting
started because it was evolving into a completely different design.
Very few of his ideas made it to the finished design.

This is all documented in various places, most recently in Andy
Hertzfeld's "Revolution in the Valley" (2005). Also see
www.folklore.org.

Raskin was brilliant, and made a huge contribution to the world of
computing, but he probably doesn't deserve to be known as the father of
the Mac. The Canon Cat (which he later designed) was closer to his
concept.

Mike