[NTLK] Reviving your eMate

From: Frank Gruendel (newtontalk_at_pda-soft.de)
Date: Sun Mar 06 2005 - 14:08:18 PST

> I recently stumbled across the original box
> containing my eMate, still in pristine condition
> and fine working order. I even had its memory
> upgraded. Have't touched it in years,
> and even considered eBay-ing it.
> However, I decided to breath some new life into
> it, but I'm not sure where to begin.

For a start, take care of the infamous hinge spring
problem. See

http://www.pda-soft.de/emate_disassemble.html
http://www.inventors-emporium.co.uk/pages/newton-emate-hinge.html
http://wwnc.newtontalk.net/program/frankgruendel/slides-frankgruendel.pd

if you don't know what I'm talking about. If you don't
do this first, the question of which WiFi card to use will
soon be moot since your eMate will commit suicide.
There are people on this list (myself included if you happen to
live near Germany) if you do not dare to do this yourself.

As for which WLAN card to use, I haven't had any problems with a Lucent
Silver Turbo card so far. Stay away from Lucent Bronze cards for the
time being, especially if they aren't the turbo version.

Frank