Re: [NTLK] As long as Tom brought up Raissa...

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Thu Mar 10 2005 - 06:22:59 PST

MKow1234_at_aol.com wrote:
> Can somebody please EXPLAIN Raissa to me in layman's terms?
>
> From what I understand, it is supposed to convert/allow text (RSS feeds)
> from web pages to be read on the Newton. With its much larger screen, the
> Newton should be the perfect thing for reading news updates and so forth.
> The question is, does this work?

Not all RSS feeds contain rich content. That's not what they're really for.
Take the NTLK list feed, for example: only the first few lines of each message
are included, and a link to the full message.

OTOH, some feeds have more information. For example, the RSS feed for
boingboing.net has the full text of each post in the RSS feed:

http://feeds.feedburner.com/boingboing/iBag

> What I would like to do is be able to connect my MessagePad directly to my
> laptop and then download a bunch of web pages, just like my Pocket PC can
> do with AvantGo and Microsoft ActiveSync. Hello? Anybody? Buehler?
>
> I do NOT want to have to download web content directly through the Newton's
> archaic web interface. I repeat, I do not want to have to use the Newton
> as my web device. I want to get the content on my PC and then put it on
> the Newton. Well? Doesn't seem like that tall of an order...

Have you tried scheduling web downloads with Newt's Cape? I do this with
cbc.ca/mobile to get the news onto my Newton automatically every morning. It
can auto-follow links up to 4 levels deep, so I point it to the index page and
it grabs it as well as all of the stories, and saves them in the cache. Then
I just browse from the cache.

IMHO, you will get more success out of this method then trying to download and
then massage content on the PC.