Re: [NTLK] memory and memory card help

From: Peter H. Coffin (hellsop_at_ninehells.com)
Date: Tue Mar 15 2005 - 09:58:02 PST

On Tue, Mar 15, 2005 at 01:30:46PM -0500, hal9k2010 wrote:
> i am a new newton user, i recently got my emate 300, i downloaded some
> applications and the emate give me a message that is full, need info on what
> kind of memory card i need and how this work... does the cards work like a
> hard drive on a mac?

Roughly, yes.

> can i send data to it and back to the internal memory?

Yes.

> can i get the cards in stores like compusa?

Not generally. You have two basic option: search for eMate-compatible
cards used, or get Paul Guyot's ATA driver and a card that you CAN buy
in stores. The first is probably simpler for a new person. See the
hardware FAQ for information about which cards are compatible with the
eMate. Do not compromise on model numbers. If the list says "XYZ-2" then
a card labelled XYZ-3 probably will NOT work.

> also i use a serial external modem to get mail with the emate and works
> great when i use dialup... at home i use cable modem, does any pc card
> (ethernet) will fit in the emate ?

Some do. See the hardware FAQ for which ones. Same warning about models
applies. Exact matches only is most reliable.

--
29. I will dress in bright and cheery colors, and so throw my enemies into
    confusion.