Re: [NTLK] Newton and Yahoo E-mail (SMTP problem)

From: Adam Ladds (aladds_at_gmail.com)
Date: Wed Mar 16 2005 - 01:01:41 PST

On Wednesday, March 16, 2005, at 03:12 AM, Martin Joseph wrote:

> On Mar 15, 2005, at 3:02 PM, Adam Ladds wrote:
> <snip>
>> I have personally sent mail from simplemail using my MP2100 and the
>> yahoo SMTP server.
> Recently?

Yes, I just (literally just now) sent myself an e-mail from notes, It
arrived fine (this is using SimpleMail and the yahoo smtp server)

>> The reason it can't receive mail from yahoo is because (I think) it
>> tries to log on using APOP or IMAP not POP (I think this because it
>> says -ERR popgate unknown command when you try to connect with it
>> (that
>> is, simplemail connecting to the yahoo pop mail server)).
> None of the above has anything whatsoever to do with sending mail, as
> neither POP nor IMAP is relevent.

I know, I was just putting down my thoughts as to why it will not
receive yahoo mail

> SMTP (simple message transfer protocol) is the server that handles
> outgoing mail.
>
> According to Simons post here (He is the author of simplemail and Mail
> V) the error from the Yahoo SMTP server was due to that lack of TLS
> encryption for the authentication process.
>
> This means that Yahoo's SMTP server want's the users to tell it who
> they are, via an encryption method that is not available on the Newton.
>
> If you know a way to configure Yahoo's SMTP server not to require this
> (ie plain text authentication) then it could work. Perhaps Yahoo
> recently changed to this setup?

I have not set any strange options, however, I have had my account for
a very long time (since before I even got my first PowerMac! (that was
a 4400, horrible case) so it may be that only new accounts have this
TLS thing)

cheers

Adam