Re: [NTLK] [OT] Encoding VOB to MOV to Newton

From: Adriano (adriano.angelillis_at_gmail.com)
Date: Thu Mar 17 2005 - 09:21:25 PST

Sorry for delay on giving a more accurate description.
[Please notice i have never tried it, but if you have time i do not
think you will get in trouble.]

A) Go to the link http://www.cs.buffalo.edu/~afaversa/
and D/L the file "0SEx-0.0101b.sit". Use the freeware application to
extract a single decripted VOB audio/video file from any dvd.

B) Then go to the link http://openshiiva.sf.net
and D/L the file Openshiva 0.8.9 - Openshiva application will let you
convert a VOB a/v file to a Quicktime file. The decoding options will
include any of yours quicktime video codecs already installed in
/library/quicktime (on Mac OSX), the same for audio (i.e. i always use
3ivx for video and mp4 for audio, or DivX Pro for video and MP3 audio).
MP4 decoding is the best option i think on long movies, instead for
photos slides/previews (the idea is to D/L them in the Newton) i prefer
a Sorenson codec (the same used to put Hubble HiRes space photos on the
web too).

C) Go to the link
http://www.unna.org/unna/macos/NewtonMovieConverter.sit
to D/L the Newton Movie Converter. To use it: 1) open NTK - 2) increase
NTK memory (heap and build) - 3) drag your quictime movie on the Movie
converter icon - 4) bevi un buon caffe' - 5) install the ready newton
movie package and play it on your MessagePad.

NOTE: The Newton movie converter will convert only the video track of
your quicktime movie. To convert the audio, D/L the sound plug-in from
the link http://www.kallisys.com/files/mac/MovieToSound.sit.hqx (thanks
to Paul guyot)

[Please let me know if you have success, as i said above i never tried
it...]
Hope you will find the provided informations useful anyway.

Adriano