Re: [NTLK] DNS issue (I think!)

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Mar 21 2005 - 14:41:54 PST

The thing about DNS servers is that you can use any
DNS server that is out there. DNS servers don't
restrict anybody from accessing them.
While I don't know any DNS servers in the UK, I do
know of some in the US. 198.6.1.1 is UUNET in Ashburn
VA and 198.6.1.122 is NY for UUNET.

You may want to do some experimenting using nslookup,
which is a command line tool that will allow you to
perform all sorts of tests against a domain. If you do
an nslookup www.yahoo.com, you will query your DNS
server and show you what it is, along with the IP of
Yahoo!.
You can use the nslookup program to do all sorts of
other powerful things...type nslookup, then hit enter.
Then type help and see all the cool things it can do!
Ed
web/gadget guru

--- Konstantinos Theofilis <theofilis_at_macland.gr>
wrote:
> Hi list
>
> As my drainage problem continues (I have to buy a
> new set of batteries
> to test the current with NewtTest, I am using my
> Newt as a desktop
> machine :-D. Well, actually for quick note-taking
> while I am working on
> my mac.
>
> Anyway here is my story. My network setup is :
>
> Cable modem-->WiFi Router.
>
> Until now I used my newt for RSS feeds. Today i
> tried to actually open
> the links from the RSS feeds. It could not find the
> url.
>
> So, either with DHCP, or with manual IP, it can find
> urls when I use
> Raissa, but not when I use Courier, or Simple Mail
> :-(
>
> Well, in fact in Courier, there is a weird
> behaviour. If I start
> Courier, click on "start browsing" then open a url,
> it finds the url,
> if I try to open a new url, it doesn't connect.
>
> I suppose I have to find the DNS servers of my ISP,
> but still I have
> not managed to do so (with nslookup I got some IP's
> but they are not
> working..)
>
> Any ideas?Or anyone that knows the DNS servers of
> Telewest Broadband
> (blueyonder.co.uk domain) ??
>
> --
> This is the NewtonTalk list -
> http://www.newtontalk.net/ for all inquiries
> Official Newton FAQ:
> http://www.chuma.org/newton/faq/
> WikiWikiNewt for all kinds of articles:
> http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/

"I'm not an expert, but I *did* stay at a Holiday Inn Express once..."
     --Holiday Inn Commercial