Re: [NTLK] Is a CardBus card a type of PCMCIA card?

From: James Nichols (smilr_at_mac.com)
Date: Wed Mar 23 2005 - 20:23:43 PST

Yes and no - pcmcia was the old name for the 16 bit expansion cards.
ALong the way the term everyone was using changed to PC-Card. Cardbus
is an extension of PC-Card, to utilize a 32 bit data bus. Cardbus slots
can use both 16 bit pc-cards and 32 bit (cardbus) pc-cards. Older 16
bit non cardbus pc-card slots (including most slots labeled as pcmcia
slots I take it) cannot use the newer 32 bit cards.

The newton itself has two 16 bit PC-Card slots, so your PCMCIA
(pc-card) Cardbus wifi card sorta is and sort of isn't a true pcmcia
card, and will not work in any newton. Sorry.

If the card you are considering purchasing mentions 32 bit, cardbus, or
has a copper plate on the top and bottom edge of the connector it is a
cardbus card and won't work with a newton.

J Tyler Nichols