[NTLK] [OT] Apple Tablet Mac prototype from the duo era

From: James Nichols (smilr_at_mac.com)
Date: Thu Mar 31 2005 - 01:48:11 PST

Okay - apparently some lucky poster over at macrumors.com has several
clear plastic apple prototypes and what appears to be a mac-tablet
based on the Duo line of subnotebooks apple produced back in the 90's:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=115563

The guy claims that it's HWR was based on the Newton, and that it was
"faster" because it started out with roughly 150k words and ran on an
68040 making it faster than the newtons. Well, the 68040s in that era
ranged from what, 25mhz to 66mhz? I highly doubt that this thing would
outperform a mp2x00 machine for HWR speed.

I can't honestly tell if this thing is real or not - we have no shots
of it running, and the hardware looks a bit rough around the edges -
but this would have to be a nice photoshop job or a custom molded set
of plastics slapped onto the bottom half of a duo in order to be this
smooth of a fake. Thoughts?

J Tyler Nichols